Energy conservation and developing renewable energy, along with preserving the environment, are among the priorities of Oman’s eighth five-year development plan (2011-15).
Oman’s architectural heritage dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries. Our architecture is an expressions of our rich and vibrant culture and a source of great pride. These buildings have a legacy that goes beyond their imposing beauty; the eco-friendly construction methods used in them – including the use of compressed earth blocks and mud mortar and plaster; the water circulation systems; use of shade - are again of interest to the construction industry and, thanks to their low environmental impact and energy efficiency, are enjoying growing recognition and popularity around the world.
The National Competition for Eco House Design taps into this rich legacy and the talents of the tech-savvy generation that is our youth; we look to the achievements of our past to inspire their creativity and imagination.
Through the competition we hope to develop the research and innovative thinking skills of Oman’s youth and foster awareness of sustainable social and economic development.
About the Competition
Through research and innovation in architecture, environment and renewable energy the competition raises awareness of the possibilities and importance of green building and eco-design.
Higher Education Institutions will compete in designing houses that are innovative in architecture, engineering and inspiration. The designs will incorporate smart technology and may either use new ideas or reinterpret traditional styles.
- Promote a culture of research and innovation in high quality, cost-effective and cost-efficient eco-building design which contributes to sustainable social and economic development.
- Support creativity in higher education.
- Encourage the translation of ideas into useful products.
- Build national capacity, both individual and institutional (small and medium-sized enterprises), in areas of sustainable development such as: alternative energy use: high quality and eco-friendly material production.
- Develop national policies to keep abreast of international trends.
- Foster partnership ad co-operation between academia, commerce and industry and government.
- Capitalise on Omani heritage in urban planning and architecture.
The competition is open to all higher education institutions, both public and private, which offer academic programs such as architecture, engineering, décor and design etc. Their students should be passionate about the project and its goals.
The Eco friendly House Competition is an award-winning program that challenges collegiate teams to design, build, and operate Eco friendly houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient, and attractive. The winner of the competition is the team that best blends consumer appeal, and design excellence with optimal energy production and maximum efficiency.