(First round, December / 2016)
The Research Council is delighted to announce the launch for the Research and Innovations Award in Water Science. It aims to encourage and promote the development of high-quality research and innovative ideas that address the needs of the local water sector. It comprises of two categories: (1) the scientific publication and (2) the innovations.
Category I (Scientific Publication):
This category recognizes outstanding published research that addresses the local challenges in the water sector. This category distinguish between two types of publications, which are: (1) papers of PhD holders; and (2) papers of young researchers (non-PhD holders).
The application of the two types are done separately and shall meet the following requirements:
- The paper should addresses current concerns in the local water sector in Oman.
- The applicant must be the first Author of the published research and the topic should not be part of academic thesis (MSc or PhD).
- The research should be novel, contributes to the knowledge of water sciences, and exhibit a potential for application.
- The research must be published after 2012 in a refereed scientific journal indexed in Scopus, Web of Science, at the time of publication, or in one of the Arabic periodicals listed in the Award’s website.
- The applicant is allowed to submit only one application for the award and the published research must not have won any other award in Oman or internationally.
- Researchers are required to provide any information that may be requested by TRC.
- Applicants must provide a No-Objection statement from their research team members with regard to the participation in the award.
- The Award evaluation committee’s members are not allowed to compete for the Award.
- The evaluation committee’s decision shall be considered final and no objection in this regard will be entertained.
- The Award Winners must be willing to present their research study at the Award Forum.
- All applications shall be submitted via on-line route and applications by any other means shall be excluded.
Category II: (Innovations)
This category includes innovative prototypes or products that address the current challenges in the water sector in order to encourage and support Innovative initiatives of individuals, research teams, academic researchers or companies, and provides the economic and investment opportunities for the small and medium size enterprises (SMEs). It includes the following:
- Water technology products: which represents small-scale entries in early stage technology with realistic expectations for commercialization.
- Water innovation products: which represents larger-scale entries with operational benefits or achievements
The entry shall have to meet the following criteria:
- The entry (no older than 5 years) shall contains a good description that is understandable and clear about the product and its expected impact in addressing the issues or concerns in water industry and water management.
- The application should include sufficient supporting documents that reflects the originality consisting one or more of the followings:
The entry, that is either a new technology or modification/improvement in an existed technology, should identify the major improvement in the proposed product with reference to the original idea
A demonstration on how is it developed locally, R&D established to develop and transform the technology in light of further local development
A demonstration of the innovation benefits and the competitive advantages of the entry in the local water industry and water management
An illustration of the economic feasibility, applicability (projections / calculations of the economic value)
An estimation of the overall sustainable benefits such as, as job creation. The Award Winners must be willing to present their research study at the Award Forum.
All applications shall be submitted via on-line route and applications by any other means shall be excluded.
- Analysis certificate by recognized organization
- Approved Lab-scale testing report as a minimum
- Projections and calculation of economic benefits
- IP registration (when applicable)
As the award aims at enhancing the awareness from early ages, there is a place for young innovators in water, which target school students (from grade 10 to 12). It will be assessed by the Ministry of Education.
The entry shall meet the following conditions:
- The entry shall contains a good description that is understandable and clear about the product or service that address a current challenge in the water issues in Oman.
- The entry, that is either a new technology or modification/improvement in an existed technology, should identify the major improvement in the proposed product with reference to the original idea.
- The small-scale prototype shall be supported by the followings:
a. Testing and approval from the institution of the student.
b. Expected social and economic benefits.
For submission, students have to submit a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The timeline for the award
For More Information :